Thursday, 11 June 2009

the beginning of every journey ...

This is the first of two Father's Day cards that I am making and I am entering this one into THREE challenges:

I was looking for a sketch with lots of different layers as I wanted to use quite a few different papers. I found it here in this week's sketch at Stamp With Fun. I have extended some of the background papers beyond the sketch because I just loved the papers and wanted the card to tell a story.

The Created By Hand Challenge blog has a theme of Father's Day this week, which is quite handy!

Finally, Cute Card Thursday has a theme of quotations and I have included one on my card.

Here is my card:
All papers used are from the K & Co ~ Blue Awning 12 x 12 paper pad. If you look closely at the card, you will see the story unfold as follows:
The year is 1824 and Magnolia's Edwin, originally from Philadelphia, is currently in the port of New York.

He has been bad and so is being exported to a place whose name I can't read so I have decided it is Jamaica - the island in the bottom right corner of the card.
All that he takes with him are the clothes on his back (but pretty smart by my reckoning), a compass, an oar (to row the boat) and a length of rope.

Talking of which he's been practising tieing his knots!

Edwin scoured the internet and, using Basic Grey buttons, made a reef knot (top) and then a sheet bend (bottom).

The 'Happy Father's Day' sentiment is also by Basic Grey.

Finally, the quotation from a ribbon sticker sheet, is shown below and reads:

'the beginning of every journey starts with a single step'.

Thank you for looking.

kat - keeley
having a {me} day

9 comments:

Yogi said...

very nice

Mona said...

wow your card is gorgeous.
Thanks for take part.
Hugs Mona
swf-team

Riet said...

What a beautiful card,l love the image and colours.
So gorgeous papers.

Hugs Riet.x

Sandra said...

Gorgeous card Kat...love the story you have created,such beautiful K&Co papers and an Edwin coloured perfectly...great take on Mumur's sketch...thanks for joining us this week at SWF,
Have a lovely weekend,
Take care
San x

Bohemian Gypsy said...

Kat this is a beautiful card with lots of luscious papers.
Regards
Michelle M

Kr├╝mel said...

What a great card! And if Edwin is normal size I think this card is also a huge one! Love the papers and the color combo.
Kathrin aka Kruemel

Pam S. said...

awesome choice of papers to use w/this Edwin! love your card!!
Pam Going Postal

Alexandra said...

hi,
your card is so great!

hugs
alexandra

Caz said...

Fab card, thanks for joining us last week on the CCT Challenge Blog.
Caz
x