Saturday 28 February 2009

cupcake inspiration

This is my first week as guest designer at Dotties World. The challenge is:


"For this week's challenge I would like you to take inspiration from this photo of yummy cupcakes. You could focus on the colours, use a cupcake on your work or make a cupcake shaped card - it's up to you. You must include one of the Charmed downloads on your project and please tell us how the photo inspired you in your make"


I decided to combine this challenge with the sketch challenge at Friday Sketchers.

For my card, I was drawn by the pinks and blues in the photo, as well as those yummy looking cupcakes and I just knew I had to make my own. Unfortunately, as I am quite partial to cupcakes and am particularly fond of the icing, it kind of took on a life of its own :-) Shame I can't eat it!
I used both sides the Prima ~ Angelique Collection: Wings. One side has been machine sewn onto Bazzill cardstock.
The cupcake base was made from a piece of vellum which I folded into a concertina format and added a strip of ribbon to the bottom to neaten it up. The 'icing' was made by roughly tearing a cupcake icing shape and then curling up the edges so that the other side of the paper showed through. I also added some distressed paper circles and decorated with sequins, pearls and buttons from my stash.

The image is Madison ~ Gift.

I coloured Holly with my Copics and added a little sequined flower and bead to her hat. For the ribbon on the present and the buckle of the belt, I coloured in with a glue pen and then added a sprinkling of Doodlebug glitter. Madison has been matted onto a layer of distressed paper.
The 'Happy Birthday' sentiment is by Penny Black, which I stamped onto vellum, inked up the edges and clear embossed it.
Thank you for looking.

kat
having a {me} day

8 comments:

Adele said...

Beautiful card, the colours are so soft and scrummy..I love the way you curl the papers..never tried that!
Totall gorgeous Kat, a true inspiration on the team!

love Dingle.xx

Juliet said...

I love this Kat, the distressed look goes really well and you are sooo clever making that cupcake!
Juliet x

Sammi said...

Oh woweee!! this is sensational Kat!
Your cupcake is lovely and Holly looks wonderful!!
Good work on being GD for Dottie's World!! :)
Sammi
xxx

Karen Mortensen said...

What a wonderful card! I love the way you have carried the top of the cupcake over the matting of the image. Beautiful colours and that cupcake base is ace!!

It's just fab to have you as a guest designer and I look forward very much to more gorgeous creations from you.
xxx

Louly said...

Kat this is briliant! I love how you've distressed the cupcake and your colouring of Madison is perfect, I love her pink trousers.
welcome to the gang. xx

Ittybittyinkspotstoo said...

Awesome Awesome Awesome!! Congratulaions for making Guest Designer!! HOW FUN for you!!
Your card is absolutley STUNNING! I love that cupcake! Brilliant! Holly is gorgeous and your coloring "takes the cake'!!
Love your distressing and the colors are perfect!!
I would say A JOB WELL DONE!!
big hugz to you my friend!
deb

Simone said...

O my god, the distressed edges are fabulous!!! I really love your card!
Simone

aardvarkpest said...

Gorgeous card.The cup cake is so clever and Holly is gorgeous as are the distressed edged.

Glenda